Wednesday 15 May 2013

In Sun and In Rain

Jane: yesterday we walked all day in beautiful sunshine and after several hours it even became warm! (yes, I know we are in Spain, but it is flippin´ freezing here!)

Today we walked all day in the rain and got fairly soaked.  Up to  now we have, as true Lake District walkers, been very dismissive of all the pilgrims with their big rain ponchos that cover both them and their backpacks.  Today we were just plain envious.  The poncho stops the rain getting onto your pack straps and seeping in through the waterproof.  We shall now eat some humble pie ( a little bit like tortilla) and buy a poncho each when we can )(big problem there as Spain only has vegetable shops and pharmacies and they are always shut!)

News to-date: Night-before-last we stayed at the municipal albergue in Asofra in little two-person cubicles with saloon-type door -- great, but..... When I was returning from the loos in middle of the night after tippy-toeing there (do not know why I crept, the flush was like Niagra Falls! -- I crept back into my room and felt my way to my sleeping bag and, horrors, there was someone in my bed!!!! I do not know who was more surprised, the young German man or me! Quickly beat a retreat to number 7 (I had gone to number 6 in the dark).

Next day (yesterday) we stayed in the Church albergue on mats in a loft along with 20 others in rows on the floor -- what an experience - shades of the Girl Guides, but with more snoring.  And that is not all.  After mass (!!??!!) we all ate a lovely, simple meal together then every nation present was asked to sing a song from their country.  Charlotte and I could only come up with the very traditional folksong, sung in dialect "My Old ManÅ› a Dustman"; it went down well.  BUT we need your help.  If this singing malarky crops up again, we need some suggestions for short, melodic English songs -- all clean please.

Charlotte: Jane claims to have made a mistake in the night but i also managed to burst into a shower to find a naked man, oops This communal living takes some getting used to. We are now at Villa Franca in a very nice albergue run by a man who himself has walked the Camino, he also owns the hotel next door where we will eat our pilgrim meal this evening. We both got cold today but the sun is now shining so we are hoping tomorrow, which is up and down through beautiful woodland, will be drier than today.
 We have seen storks, two nests on two tall chimneys, amazing, Jane took some pics which we will put on the blog with our other flora and fauna pics soon. All for now, lots of love from C and J.

3 comments:

  1. Well I think you both need a new pair of glasses, walking into someone in the shower, then trying to get into their sleeping bag! When you go and buy your new ponchos see if they sell little torches too!!
    I've thought of 3 songs for you, 'These boots are made for walking', Walking back to happiness' and Walk like an Egyptian'. You can also dance when you are singing the last one. If you want the words as well, you'll have to sing for them!!!
    Well it sounds as though you are both having a great time. I bet you're having a great laugh. Just keep on walking.

    Lots of love,
    Anna & John.
    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bursting into showers and groping young men in bed. Was the Camino Way supposed to come with an 18 certificate or are you two just corrupting the essence with which a pilgrimage is meant to be undertaken :-)

    For song suggestions there's Chris Rea's, Road to Hell (have I got the right feel for song types here) or It's a Long Way to Tipperary (substitute appropriate Camino Way town) or then given your tales of young men there's that all time classic by the wonderful artist called Sabrina, Boys boys boys (are you looking for a good time) :-)

    If I can think of some more appropriate one (like Anna's) I will add them to the list.

    I'm glad the sun is coming out for you. I've forgotten what is looks like. Seriously, someone showed me a picture of it and I had a mental blank as to what it was. I think I need to move somewhere sunnier than Edinburgh!!

    Anyway, thinking of you loads. Good luck with the sing alongs.

    All my love
    Matt xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well here is a useful reply with the words for you

    When you walk through a storm
    Hold your head up high
    And don't be afraid of the dark

    At the end of the storm
    Is a golden sky
    And the sweet silver song of the lark

    Walk on through the wind
    Walk on through the rain
    Though your dreams be tossed and blown

    Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
    And you'll never walk alone
    You'll never walk alone

    When you walk through a storm
    Hold your head up high
    And don't be afraid of the dark

    At the end of the storm
    Is a golden sky
    And the sweet silver song of the lark

    Walk on through the wind
    Walk on through the rain
    Though your dreams be tossed and blown

    Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
    And you'll never walk alone
    You'll never walk

    You'll never walk
    You'll never walk alone.

    ReplyDelete