Monday 6 May 2013

Tilting at windmills: day Five.

Charlotte: we are showered and changed and feeling tired but we have had a lovely day walking in the sun. We stayed in a lovely hotel in Pamplona and were spoilt with our own bathroom. i am realising how important these things are to me. We started out at 7:45 out through the suburbs of Pamplona which is a beautiful city, very green with many mature trees and green spaces, all kept neat and tidy. It is always harder to walk on pavement but we soon headed along a track, steadily climbing to Alto del Perdon the highest point today and for many days to come. we stopped many times to rest and drink loads of water. Jane´s plan to take things gently at first is working well, though weary at the end of the day I am not exhausted. There was quite a throng of pilgrims on the route today if this is the quiet season it must be crazy come the summer. Now i must thank Mark my brother as i am now a convert, thankyou Mark for leaving behind some of your big hankies when you have stayed at my as I have snaffled them and they are totally useful, i will return them laundered of course when I return.
 i am missing my family and friends especially my darling boy Arlen. Do please keep me and jane in your thoughts and keep in touch, love to you all.

Jane:  It was like walking in a very warm British summer today.  You understand why there is a tradition of pilgrims getting out as early as they can as. One wants to avoid a lot of the heat and, of course you may have to walk much further on to find your bed for the night if you get in too late the village you´ve targeted.  Highlights of the day today were: beautiful aromas as we passed loads of spring flowes and bushes in full bloom, a lovely yellow-breasted bird singing its heart out on a low bush, the spendid (if hazey) view from on top of Alto de Perdon where a huge wind farm competes with a metal art installation of groups of pilgrims leaning into the wind. (Older people will understand the title of the blog now).

This is an old computer, so I´ll not try downloading pics until we´re somewhere else.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte and Jane
    We've been trying to leave comments but failing! Will keep trying - if you do get this, well done so far and keep up the blog, it's great to read where you are and how you're doing!
    Sinead and Mal xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jane and Charlotte
    Charlotte - No need to return the hankies. You're very welcome to them. Alice and Sam say that they're the only ones, in their generation, that use cotton handkerchiefs. I'm very proud of my excellent parenting! And even prouder of you two, making your way across northern Spain.By week two, you'll be old hands and getting up early, and snaffling the best refuge places, the ones with decent toilets, and people that don't snore (I hope).
    I envy the sights and sounds you report, but not the walking! Take care. All my love XXX Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Charlotte and Jane - this might be fourth time lucky! (If it is, it's thanks to Sinead for working out how to post comments.) It's been so good to read your blog! What a great way to keep us all in touch with your amazing journey. I love all your observations and descriptions - and the photos are a bonus. I have to admit to a touch of envy, wishing I was walking with you. But I doubt my bod would manage it and I'm very content to be supporting you in spirit. I've been walking in the wonderful spring sunshine we've been having and I've thought of you so much out there on your travels. Never doubt that you're missed. Big hug and my love. Mal x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Charlotte and Jane - I am glad not to be the only one unable to master the posting of comments. However now that I can I have to say Love the photos. Today we too have experienced HOT weather, it's not going to last though. Never mind it meant I could empathise with you both and be thankful not to be walking up hill.
    Tomorrow I am walking in the lakes, probably in the rain, perhaps you can empathise with me!!
    Keep the posts coming.
    Much Love Marion xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. One week in.... 2 ladies, not so young, not super fit, one recovering from a virulent chest infection, the other with a semi-permanent headache and irritable tummy - neither used to walking with big packs, neither used to walking alone, at high altitude and at times in the cold, rain and mist, neither used to sharing bedrooms(with young Italians!) and also bathrooms/toilets and every day having some uncertainty about whether there’s vacancies for planned nightly stops. Neither of you a ‘techy’ but getting your blogs posted using unfamiliar equipment. Here you are one week in having done all that and over 100km behind you with five and a half days walking. WELL DONE, you are BRILLIANT, both of you. Stay strong, keep supporting each other (and other walkers as you have done already) through whatever challenges week 2 (and 3,4,5) will bring and we all look forward to following you and your adventures and thoughts throughout the Camino de Santiago. Buen Camino ! Henry xx

    ReplyDelete